Sunday, April 29, 2012

Exhibitor Spotlight: Genlighten, Booth 613

Sometimes we describe Genlighten.com as “a marketplace for genealogical research” but it’s more than that. It’s a growing community built on a foundation of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable researchers who earn extra income sharing their expertise.

I’ve see the site from three sides—founder, client, and provider. Two experiences capture the Genlighten spirit for me.

In 2009, I stumbled on The Young Violinist's Favorite No. 1 by A. S. Bowman published in 1891. The fiddle tunes intrigued me. I wanted to know who Bowman was. Luck and perseverance uncovered a lot about this Pennsylvania composer but his death record eluded me.

Then serendipity prompted a New York City death index search. A convincing match caught my eye and I REALLY wanted to see that record. I contacted a Genlighten provider and two days later I was poring over an image of Mr. Bowman’s death certificate. I was a very happy client.

I’ve also experienced Genlighten as a provider. Recently someone asked for help deciphering a critical address hiding under a tape shadow on a digital image. I couldn’t access the original record but experience suggested an alternate resource for finding the information. I was able to help solve a puzzle my client had been working on for two years. Her thanks meant a lot.

Those are two of my Genlighten stories. Stop by our booth and share yours! Then enjoy a piece of chocolate and let us introduce you to the new features of Genlighten 2.0.

Cynthia Richardson
Genlighten Co-founder
cynthia@genlighten.com

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment