Friday, April 13, 2012

Speaker Spotlight: Jean Wilcox Hibben, PhD, MA, CG; Sessions F-322 and S-454

I am excited to be presenting two programs at the 2012 NGS conference. I’ve been doing genealogy for about 35 years; I have an academic background in folklore (PhD, 2008) and speech communication, with an emphasis in interpersonal communication and rhetoric (MA, 1990). These fields are the basis for both of my presentations, as they rely heavily on the oral history arena.

“The Two Sides of Interviewing” (4 pm, Saturday, #S454) looks at the basics of interviewing, but goes on to consider both sides of the process – the interviewee and the interviewer. Also covered are some different approaches and tools to help make it a positive experience. I also discuss alternatives to the standard interview and more. Recommended audience: beginner to intermediate researchers.

“Shaking the Myth” (11 am, Friday, F322) deals with family legends and proving or disproving them. I introduce a method of breaking a story down into its individual parts, then assessing each of the parts for analysis. Recommended audience: intermediate to advanced. Be prepared to be involved.

I serve the genealogy community as the Director of the Corona, California Family History Center; President of both the Corona Genealogical Society and the Southern California Chapter of APG; Board Member of APG; Secretary of the Genealogical Speakers Guild; and frequent volunteer at NARA, Pacific Region (Riverside County, California). I am a columnist for GenWeekly and my writing also appears in Family Chronicle, Crossroads, APG Quarterly, etc. My blog is
here and more on my presentations and other activities is at www.circlemending.org.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment